Wednesday, December 25, 2013



Hola Familia!
Well, I can`t believe it but I`m here in the mission field! What an interesting week! I don`t think I have nearly enough time to tell you all that I want but maybe I`ll get a letter off.

Right now we are back in Retalhuleu in a little Internet Cafe.  We left the CCM on tuesday and started our four hour trip to Reu. It was so beautiful! I can`t tell you how green it is here! It was also so cool because on the way there we got to look at at least four different volcanoes! It was so cool and we could definitely feel the heat as we go closer to Reu. We got to the mission home and had a little welcome meeting with President. President and Sister Ruiz are so great and I can`t wait to get to know them more! We went out and did some work the first day with other missionaries here in Reu. I went out with an Elder from Honduras. It was a pretty eye opening experience and my feet even fell in a river during those few hours which was crazy! Later we had an awesome dinner at the mission home which was really nice. It was basically our thanksgiving dinner and I enjoyed it a lot! We slept in a hotel in Reu and then the next morning we had our transfer meeting.

I was excited to find out that I now have a Latino trainer. He is from Honduras and I am so lucky to have him as my companion. My trainer is a super missionary and really helps me a lot. We are now serving in a town called Calahuache! It`s close to a bigger town called San Felipe and that`s the name of our zone. I thing we`re in the department of Quetzaltenango which is pretty cool. The weather in Calahuache is super awesome. It never gets too cold and during the day it is just the perfect temperature. I think it`s considered one of the cold areas and I think the temperature is just perfect. The only things that aren`t awesome are all the hills we have to walk. Luckily the area is pretty small so we don`t actually do a whole ton of walking but at times we are walking up some pretty tough hills. The other interesting things is that is is one of the greenest areas in the mission. There are so so many trees and everywhere you look it`s green. It`s super cool but at times there are mosquitos. The other super awesome thing about our area is that if there aren`t clouds we can see two volcanoes that are right next to each other and it is so cool! I need to get a picture soon!

I`ve discovered that being in the field is much different than I thought. I thought that I would be able to understand everyone when I came out here but I`ve found that`s not the case. Luckily I`m blessed enough that I can talk and participate in the lessons but most of the time I am so lost! It`s sort of hard because I can`t speak English at all but I am grateful that I`m in this situation so that I can learn much faster. In our apartment there are four of us and I am the only Gringo. There`s  an elder from Mexico and an  elder from Guatemala. It`s hard sometimes because I usually have no clue what they`re all talking about and I hope I can learn fast! Our apartment makes me so grateful for all the conveniences I had for 18 years. We have all that we need to survive without any issues but there are a lot of things that I`m going to miss (especially warm showers!). The apartment is on the second foor of a building and luckily it`s all closed up so that we don`t have issues with mosquitos. We don`t have AC but we really don`t need it because the temperature is always perfect.  The food so far has been really great and we have a family who aren`t members that cook dinners for us and I am so grateful for them because it might take a while for me to figure out the whole cooking thing. I hope I can get the hang of it!

I wish I had another hour because there is so much I want to tell you but I really want you to know that I love you all so much! This first week has made me miss you all a lot but I`m surviving on all your prayers and I know that this gospel is true I know what it can do for these people here in Calahuache! I love you all so much.

Love,
Elder Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment