Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Noisy Navidad

Dear Family,


What a week of highs and lows! I think I pretty much experienced it all this week! I also got a really good taste of the Guatemalan Christmas (and it tastes a lot like Tamales).

Of course the biggest highlight of this week and my highest high was getting to skype with you all! I can´t tell you how much it lifted my spirits just to see your faces! I was hesitantly hoping to use skype but it was looking pretty unlikely as I had no idea where to find a camera when all the internet places are closed on Christmas. Luckily the Lord helped us out and we found out that the family where we eat dinner has a laptop with a camera. I was so happy and even more happy and blessed when the internet and skype all worked ok! I was really amazed how fast the time went by though! How wonderful it was to see you all and to know that you are in deed seeing many blessings in your lives from my service! 

It was funny because the night of Christmas Eve is extremely noisy and loud. The days leading up to it everybody is selling fireworks and firecrackers and everybody saves them up for midnight on Christmas Eve. It felt like a war broke out in the city with all the flashing and cracking but it was kind of fun to see. Also we enjoyed eating a lot of tamales the days leading up to Christmas (which I was surprised to find that I kind of like).

We also enjoyed a really fun Christmas activity yesterday with the Ruizes and with a couple other zones. The highlight for me was seeing Elder P. and Elder W. from the other zones and we just a great time together sharing our experiences and thoughts on our our missions so far. I don´t think I can wait until I´m in the same zone as any of the missionaries from my CCM district! The low of the week was just that during the activity I got kind of sick and felt miserable for a while but luckily that kind of stuff always passes and I´m always able to see blessings from every single experience!

I also got a few more letters from you all and I can´t thank you enough for taking the time to write me some letters! I can´t tell you how much it lifts my spirits to read your letters! I am trying to send a letter but it seems like every time we are in San Felipe the post office is closed but we´ll see if I have some luck getting it sent sometime soon.

We have had some really cool experiences in the past two days with a sixteen year old named J. I realized the other day that he is exactly like me when I was his age. It has been so cool to share my testimony and experiences with him because he is exactly like me! I am so glad for all the experiences that I have had in my life, good and bad, that have made me who I am and have helped me grow in my love for the Lord and my testimony of his gospel because now I get to share it with people like J. and help them see that this is really the only way to a happy life! J. really has desires to change his life and we are working hard to help him do that through the Savior just as I did! I am so grateful to be out here on a mission each day! Even though at times it would be easy to be discouraged and sometimes it happens, I always try to see the infinite amount of blessings I have and I can always find strength and peace in this gospel!

Love,
Elder Jensen



No comments:

Post a Comment