Thursday, May 14, 2015

Green. Gum.





Skyping on Mother's Day

Dear Family,

It is always a little tough to write about the week after a skype call. Mostly because I will be repeating things but it´s still fun to remember all the fun events of the week!

I think the most memorable moment in these past few days was in my visit to the Maquina. I had done divisions there in the past but this time would turn out different. The heat was a new level this week. Also, I had totally forgotten to bring my toothbrush and toothpaste and stuff so I had bought some gum earlier in the day and put it in my shirt pocket. Well, somehow I forgot and after sweating a few gallons (ok maybe not that much but it was a lot) someone pointed out that my shirt had a huge green stain! The gum had totally melted in my pocket and my sweat just made it 10 times worse. Then to top that off I got woken up at 2 in the morning just covered in sweat (even though I had the fan on full blast but it was just shooting out hot air). I was trying to brainstorm some idea to be able to go back to sleep and not be so hot so I went and searched the fridge. I found a huge bottle of juice so I had the brilliant idea to sleep hugging this cold juice bottle and it worked. Of course the other Elder was so confused when he saw me sleeping with his bottle of juice but it did the trick! Fun times with the Guatemalan heat!

My stained shirt from the gum I forgot in my pocket.

On Saturday L.C. was baptized and it was a super spiritual moment (despite the power going out right before the actual baptism but we still managed to see him more or less). One part I loved is that before the service we watched the Bible Video whenJesus Christ teaches Nicodemus how it is that a man being old can be born again and it was cool to think that even though L. is older and has probably made some mistakes in his life he was able to start from 0 and be born again!

Baptism of L.C.


During one of our lessons this past week I was super inspired to share a few verses I had just studied in the Bible. We were teaching a family that was having problems accepting the invitation to come to church because of some other things they were going to do on Sunday when the Spirit told me to share 1 John 2:15,17:

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever."

Right after reading that the father of the family told us that he felt that he has put way to much of his time and love into his soccer team and that he needed to shift his love from the world towards the Lord and they all committed to come to church this Sunday! 

A few days ago we were walking and heard the usual ´give me a quetzal´ from one of the drunks on the street. My companion told him no because we both knew that it was so he could buy more alcohol but we got an unusual response. He yelled back ´But Jesus said in the scriptures that we should eat drink and be merry´. I am not sure how this guy got the scriptures so backwards but it was kind of silly.

A glimpse at our area, which is mostly businesses.


I keep feeling each day that the Lord has prepared a lot more people for me to go and find and teach and that is what keeps me going and working me hardest each day! It is so amazing when we get to meet these prepared people and it makes it all worth it!

Love,
Elder Jensen

A cat with a black mustache!



No comments:

Post a Comment