Friday, September 19, 2014

Feliz 15 de Septiembre

Dear Family,

¡Feliz 15 de Septiembre! Happy Guatemalan Independence Day! How fun to see everyone proud of their country and all the crazy parades!

Today we got to see a couple of parades which were pretty fun. There are all sorts of things that pass in the parade but I think my favorite was seeing a guy with a backpack looking thing that had a ton of fireworks attached and then they started going off and I was hoping he wouldn`t catch on fire or start flying into the air for all of those pyrotectics but it turned out ok. The only thing I didn`t like was that last night at midnight they did a `torcha ` or a torch run. There were a ton of motos and tuc tucs honking real loud at 12 and 1 in the morning right outside the house but it kind of made me laugh. A lot of fun and crazy traditions.

This week the whole mission got treated to a little de-stress activity. We got to go to Xetulul! (Shetoolool). It is a sweet theme park that has a sweet roller coaster and other fun rides. I was kind of running around like a little kid and really excited because it made me think of going to Kings Island and things like that. 







The other really fun thing this week is that today we went to an area in our zone called Chicacao (my CCM comp is there). The Elders there had heard of a cool waterfall just out of town. We hired a pickup driver to take us all there and it was crazy because we went way far out into a mountain. We finally got the permission of the owner of the land to let us go towards the waterfall. We brought a member from Chicacao who already knew the place. We started to climb up this mountain and not before long it started pouring rain. I am so glad I thought to bring my poncho because that saved my camera, wallet, etc. After a lot of rain and mud and climbing we got to a point to see the waterfall. Going down was also an adventure because it got all muddy and we got to slide a little bit ... without wanting to. It was a fun and wet memory.





The really great success we are having is with all of the converts from the past months. Almost every single one is attending faithfully to church and some of them have begun to comment on the meetings and help establish the church here in Santo Domingo. A. will start to help with the seminary class and F. is working to prepare for a mission in a year. We had a priesthood meeting in J.`s house and he was making some really good comments and advice to the other members. It has been so fun to see their progress and see that the Lord does work miracles in places like Santo Domingo.



I am so grateful to be a missionary and bring the good news of the gospel to all of God`s children. I know this is the Lord`s work because he leads it and always moves it forward. I am so grateful for the time I have had in Santo Domingo as well. I don`t know if I will stay or leave but either way it has made a difference in my life being there and getting to be a part of people`s lives and helping them receive blessings!

Love,

Elder Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment